en - Re: [sympa-users] Message::new() Cannot open message file ... Permission

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: Simon Taylor <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Message::new() Cannot open message file ... Permission
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:06:40 -0800

Simon Taylor wrote:
Hello again Thomas,

I've done some digging and found that wwsympa.fcgi (sympa's web interface) uses the Sympa mail.pm module to construct the message using methods mail_file and sending to construct and place the message in the "send spool" That spool looks like its the "queue" directory which is sympa/spool/msg in my configuration. From there, the running sympa.pl process is what monitors the "queue" directory for messages waiting to be distributed. Sympa.pl should move the message to the "distribute" queue where it then adds the recipients and prepares the message for the outbound mailer (postfix, sendmail, etc.).

That's very clear. Thanks for digging in to this.

So, it sounds like the Sympa web interface isn't running as sympa. The apache process hosting Sympa should be running as user sympa.

Going back to the process list, check for sympa-httpd:

My site is setup differently.

I'm running one apache for the site, at is configured to run as user 'apache' group 'apache'

[root@anzaas bin]# ps -ef|grep http
root 26310 1 0 Nov20 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/httpd
apache 29154 26310 0 04:23 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/httpd
apache 29155 26310 0 04:26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/httpd

So I'm guessing that on your site you have set up a dedicated instance of apache and called the executable
"sympa-httpd" ?

If there is something in the documentation that says I have to do this, then I've missed it.

This is easy for me to set up and test however. I'll do that now.

Thanks again,

Simon

I'm guessing there should probably be a separate instance of apache running for Sympa or there may need to be something changed with the permissions since the files that are produced by apache do not appear to be generated by the sympa user. I'm going to have to defer to the Sympa developers or someone else that might have more experience with apache web server.

Thomas