en - Re: [sympa-users] Message::new() Cannot open message file ... Permission

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: Simon Taylor <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Message::new() Cannot open message file ... Permission
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:51:56 -0800

Simon,

I've done some digging and found that wwsympa.fcgi (sympa's web interface) uses the Sympa mail.pm module to construct the message using methods mail_file and sending to construct and place the message in the "send spool" That spool looks like its the "queue" directory which is sympa/spool/msg in my configuration. From there, the running sympa.pl process is what monitors the "queue" directory for messages waiting to be distributed. Sympa.pl should move the message to the "distribute" queue where it then adds the recipients and prepares the message for the outbound mailer (postfix, sendmail, etc.).

So, it sounds like the Sympa web interface isn't running as sympa. The apache process hosting Sympa should be running as user sympa.

Going back to the process list, check for sympa-httpd:

sympa 21625 2711 0 2007 ? 00:00:00 /usr/local/jpl/msg/list/apache/bin/sympa-httpd -DSSL
sympa 21644 2711 0 2007 ? 00:00:00 /usr/local/jpl/msg/list/apache/bin/sympa-httpd -DSSL

Note: the main apache process should run as root, all the child apache processes should be running as sympa.

Thomas

Simon Taylor wrote:
Thomas Berry wrote:
Although, I don't really see how these two binaries factor in when the problem you are having and maybe there are difference between your version and the one we have, but aliaswrapper on our system is owned by root, and both aliaswrapper and virtualwrapper both have a sticky bit permission that is similar to bouncequeue, queue, and familyqueue

-rwsr-x--- 1 sympa sympa 6659 Jul 10 2007 virtualwrapper
-rwsr-x--- 1 root root 6609 Jul 10 2007 aliaswrapper

I've changed the ownership and permissions to match yours, and restarted sympa, but alas I still get the same problem.

(Though thanks for your thoughtful help, it was definitely worth a try).

I'm new enough to Sympa that I don't get the internals well enough, but when I use the web interface to send my test message to my "test1" list, I see that the web interface seems to send my test message to "sympa@......" :

... Processing /address@concealed ; sender: ...
... Processing web message for address@concealed
... Message for address@concealed sent

and debugging at this point reveals that the message file is owned by symsa and has permissions that look usable.

Then this apparently results in a new message being sent to "test1@...", and it is this new message file that has the
incorrect (?) permissions, (it's owned by root):

... Cannot open message file /address@concealed : Permission denied
... Unable to create Message object /address@concealed

Can anyone tell me which process creates this second message file?

Cheers,

Simon