en - Re: [sympa-users] filtered distribution

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] filtered distribution
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:34:55 -0400 (EDT)

address@concealed recently wrote (in part):

we use Sympa 5.3.3 to send about 40.000 newsletter emails every
month... sometimes we need to send an email to a specific
sub-group

At the University where I work, we are increasingly getting
more and more requests similar to this from the
administration. The problem is that Sympa, for all its
features, is still pretty much a traditional Mailing List
Management (MLM) system designed to host discussion lists.
This is not a slam against Sympa at all, it is doing well
exactly what it was designed to do.

There are products, like Lyris, which are designed to carry
out what could be termed "e-mail campaigns". Lyris, and no
doubt other commercial products, are designed to do this
very sort of thing being requested here, as well as allowing
for "mail merge" sorts of functions where postings can be
address to "Dear Joe" rather than "Dear Subscriber",
providing custom, per subscriber web links, etc.

And then there are Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
packages which are designed to do this and more, often
integrating things like Help Desk support, sales lead
tracking, market analysis, etc.

To me the question is, should Sympa be moving in the
direction of supporting E-Mail Campaign functionality, or
instead try and concentrate on being a best of breed
traditional MLM?

I don't know the answer to that question; I'd rather host a
traditional MLM, but am getting more requests for *cough*
spamming people outside the University. It would be nice to
have one package that I'm familiar with to do it all, but
worry about feature creep and loss of focus for Sympa's core
mission.

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+