en - Re: [sympa-users] filtered distribution

  • From: Peter Farmer <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] filtered distribution
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:01:46 +0900

Rossano,

It certainly is possible. I run a slightly modified Sympa 5.3.2 installation
with heavily modified Gui templates to run what is essentially is a
newsletter configuration (only mailing list owners can send e-mails) with a
group tagging mechanism (based on sympa's message topic facility - see
https://www.sympa.org/dev-manual/reception-mode#message_topics ) that
allows any posted message to be directed to a specific set of subscribers.
The "tag column" you talk about is the topics_subscriber column in this
implementation.

Subscribers are by default subscribed to all receive all messages, but can
request to receive any arbitrary subset of available 'topics' (or
alternatively they could be assigned by the list owner transparently to the
subscriber). I do not use the keyword mechanism in message topic filtering,
just the topic 'names', which are matched to the contents of a custom smtp
header injected into the newsletter e-mails before it is posted to the
Sympa list, or can be selected via the Sympa GUI if it is used to post the
message.
Have a look at http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/accounts

It allows people to subscribe to a mailing list to receive updates on Travel
Advice to various countries issued by the Australian government. They can
choose which countries they would like to receive updates on (message
topics) . When an update is made to any countries Travel Advice a message
is automatically posted to the Sympa list, with the country 'tag' in
an 'X-Sympa-Topic' smtp header. This activates the filtering capability of
the message topics facility, delivering the message to only those
subscribers who requested information on that country. Of course it doesnt
have to be the user who decides what messages they can recieve. You could
easily modify the GUI templates and scenarios to allow only administrators
to create or modify message topic tags.

Cheers,
Peter Farmer