en - [sympa-users] Problems getting sympa to use static .css file

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Problems getting sympa to use static .css file
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:58:05 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of setting up Sympa 5.2.1 on Fedora Core 5 in a
university environment. We're evaluating Sympa as a possible replacement for
our ancient Majordomo list system. So far I've managed to get most of it going
although there are a couple of issues I'm struggling to resolve (I'll only
deal
with one here).

I came across this list while looking for solutions to a problem I'm having
getting sympa to use my static .css file. This post discusses the same
problem:
http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users/2005-06/msg00035.html

In a nutshell: Sympa doesn't appear to be using the static .css file generated
by it.

I specified the css_path in sympa.conf, and clicked 'install static css' on
the
Sympa web page, which generated the static .css files in the css_path. Am I
now
right in assuming I can edit the style.css file that was generated to change
the sympa website elements? I have tried this, however no changes I make
appear
in the website. If I view the source of the page, the path to the .css file
looks correct. I copied the URL into the browser and was able to download the
.css file, however the file downloaded looks like the default and definitely
is
not the edited style.css in the css_path folder.

I originally had the same problem as mentioned in the link above where the
link
to the .css was http://massey.ac.nz/sympa/css//style.css (with the double
slashes //, definitely a bug in the program), which was fixed by specifying
the
css_url parameter directly in sympa.conf. However this didn't fix the problem
for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Note that our list server is currently
inside
our firewall so you won't be able to browse to it.

Some more info that may be helpful:
In /etc/sympa.conf:
# Custom css
css_path /home/sympa/css
css_url http://massey.ac.nz/sympa/css

In sympa main page source:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://massey.ac.nz/sympa/css/style.css";

In /var/log/sympa, when the css_path is set but the static .css files haven't
been generated, this is logged (bits between <> have been edited by me):

Jul 27 04:43:25 <host> wwsympa[24148]: [robot <host>.massey.ac.nz] [client
<ip>] Could not find CSS file /home/sympa/css/style.css, using default CSS

However once 'install static css' has been clicked and the files generated,
this is no longer logged - so sympa is definitely finding the files.

Michael