en - Re: [sympa-users] Problems getting sympa to use static .css file

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Problems getting sympa to use static .css file
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:05:01 +0200

Background
The reason why Sympa needs a static CSS file is because otherwise each page would require 2 pages to be generated by Sympa : the content and the CSS ; whereas the CSS does not change often. The css_path tells Sympa where the CSS  is stored (usefull to overwrite it) and the css_url is used by Sympa to refer to the CSS.

Your problem
I suppose that you just probably forgot to set the appropriate Apache Alias directive :
Alias  home/sympa/css     /css-sympa
You'll have to change the css_url parameter accordingly :
css_url     http://massey.ac.nz/css-sympa

It probably means that the documentation needs to be more precise regarding this topic.

address@concealed wrote:
I'm currently in the process of setting up Sympa 5.2.1 on Fedora Core 5 in a university environment. We're evaluating Sympa as a possible replacement for our ancient Majordomo list system. So far I've managed to get most of it going
although there are a couple of issues I'm struggling to resolve (I'll only deal with one here).

I came across this list while looking for solutions to a problem I'm having getting sympa to use my static .css file. This post discusses the same problem: http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users/2005-06/msg00035.html

In a nutshell: Sympa doesn't appear to be using the static .css file generated by it.
[...]
However once 'install static css' has been clicked and the files generated, this is no longer logged - so sympa is definitely finding the files.