en - RE: [sympa-users] Creating a list within a predefined family using WWsympa

  • From: "Gavin Younger" <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Creating a list within a predefined family using WWsympa
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:11:47 +0100

>Hi Gavin,

Thanks Olivier, that's useful...

>List family instanciation is currently only available via the
>command line, as a bulk process. You provide a set of data and
>a family definition and sympa.pl instanciates the family to
>create all the lists.
>
>We have planned to extend the family features and allow list
>creation from the web interface and also from the mail
>interface (to create one-time lists), but nothing has been coded yet.

One of my main drivers behind the use of families (apart from the bulk
processing as you mention - we have about 1700 lists to migrate! ;-> ) was
the ability to provide constraints on the parameter values (using
param_constraint.conf) since we need to constrain the set of available
settings on some of the parameters...

I can achieve a similar effect (I assume) by removing the unwanted scenario
settings from the site-wide scenario directory (/home/sympa/bin/etc/scenari)
- but I'm aware that I'd need to keep on top of this if we upgraded the
system to make sure they weren't re-written back...

What would be useful is the param_constraint.conf functionality but in a
non-family context (at either list/robot/site level). I'll add a feature
request on the tracking system...

Cheers,

Gavin Younger,
Unix Systems Group,