en - Re: [sympa-users] Creating a list within a predefined family using WWsympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Gavin Younger <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Creating a list within a predefined family using WWsympa
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:43:07 +0200

Hi Gavin,

List family instanciation is currently only available via the command line, as a bulk process. You provide a set of data and a family definition and sympa.pl instanciates the family to create all the lists.

We have planned to extend the family features and allow list creation from the web interface and also from the mail interface (to create one-time lists), but nothing has been coded yet.

In the meanwhile, you should either use the old static create_list_templates (that does not keep track of the model that was used to create the list) or instanciate a family from the command line. But setting the 'family' parameter for one list is definately not enough to make it work.

Gavin Younger wrote:

I'm trying to set things up such that when creating a list on the web interface, the list gets
created inside a particular "standard" family (we are wanting to migrate a large number
of lists from our legacy MLM to sympa, and am using the list families facility to achieve this -
however any *new* lists that get created on the web interface, I'd like also to be added to this
"standard" list family)

So, in /home/sympa/etc/create_list_templates/template-name/config.tt2,
I'm putting the line :
family_name standard

which, in theory, should add the new list to the list-family named
"standard"...

My problem is that when attempting to subsequently edit any parameters -
it fails with the following in the logfile :
Jun 20 16:04:38 ucsmlm1 wwsympa[2908]: Unable to open file /home/sympa/expl/blah/config_changes : Jun 20 16:04:38 ucsmlm1 wwsympa[2908]: Impossible to load file config_changes from list blah Jun 20 16:04:38 ucsmlm1 wwsympa[2908]: [robot newcastle.ac.uk] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] [user address@concealed] [list blah]
do_savefile: cannot write in config_changes for deleted parameters from list blah
When the list is created initially, the config_changes file (required to preserve list customization upon family re-instantiation) doesn't appear to be being created
Is this a bug? (or shouldn't I be using families in this way?)

I can get things working fine by creating the config_changes file manually,
but I'd like to have it done automatically when the list is created if
possible...