en - RE: [sympa-users] Restriction of sending by IP Address

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Joe Gilbert" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Restriction of sending by IP Address
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:31:23 -0700

> I plan to have the user send the email through smtp to
> <mylist>@hostname. I do need to lock it down because it is supposed to
> be a fairly user-friendly setup where the people sending mail do not
> have to do anything special but it would be too easy for someone to
> maliciously spoof a sending address.

I think some more information about what you're trying to do would
be helpful. If you just need announcement lists that are postable only
by staffers or a certain group of email addresses, and you need to
make it spoof-proof, then I would suggest just making them moderators
and using the "newsletter... with confirmation" setting. A posted
message will be sent back to the moderator's addresses for confirmation,
ensuring that only the real owners of those addresses can post.

adam