devel - [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:16:05 +0900

Hi developers,

Hackathon in this weekend will open the door to evolution of Sympa.
However, I want to obtain consensus among us about housekeeping
issues.

Sympa-6.2
---------

Once new Sympa (7 or so) has emerged, users would switch to it.
However candidly, at present, it may emerge either in a few months or
in several years. So legacy version would be better to be took care
for a while. So I suggest:

* sympa-6.2 branch should accept any bug fixes (and refactoring
accompany with fixes).

* sympa-6.2 branch would not necessarily sync with master, while

* master branch would be better to take in bug fixes on sympa-6.2 as
possible.

* When master is considered stable, sympa-6.2 branch will be frozen.

If you don't mind, I will deal with these works including merger of
related pull requests.

Periodic release
----------------

On past versions, addition of new features often made chance to
release new version. I suppose this policy was not always
appropriate: A big change brought minor, but not a few, buggy or
inconsistent behaviors, and made the software looks like unstable,
then several ad hoc point releases ensured. It was inefficient
and some users (really) have a doubt about stability. So I suggest:

* Periodic release: Anytime before definite duration past, say,
six months, the new version should be released.

* Sufficient preparatory period: In definite period before release,
say, four weeks, release candidate should be reviewed by public.
This period also allows translators to catch up changes on
catalogs.

This procedure would be enforced on Sympa-6.2 at first, then new
major version of Sympa when it have took off beta phase.

Thus, if there are no objection, we must decide: When the next
version (6.2 and new major) will be released?

*

Straßburg may be starting point of much progress. I wish it
be continuous.

Regards,

-- Soji

--