devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:27:41 +0200

Hello Soji,

Thanks for sharing. We will talk about it at the very beginning of the
hackathon. I think everyone already agreed on the your vision of the 6.2
branch and i really would like to see you as the maintainer of it.

The think i want to discuss during the hackathon is the opportunity to
split sympa on multiple components. at least

* sympa-backend-* the abstract classes for serialization
* sympa-mlm the mailing list manager
* sympa-rest-server the REST server over mlm
* sympa-vue the web UI over rest-server
* sympa-tt the web UI over mlm (if someone wants to maintain)

and there would be a notion of dependency between some of them. sympa
should become easiser to

* dive in
* reason about
* package and install

we also should talk about release process (i really would like some
people to merge branches on devel and make master to point on stable
tags) and deprecation process (what, why and how to break retrocompat.,
how to document it).

> If you don't mind, I will deal with these works including merger of
> related pull requests.

i would really appreciate it. anyone against ?

> Periodic release
> ----------------

from my point of view, i think we should steal from perl:

* features are documented and marked as experimental by default
* even major versions are stable (with maintainance), minors are for bug
fixing
* even major versions are for devel snapshots. minors are for new
features and patchlevel are for fixing.

so we can have a fast pace of release for people who can afford more
maintainance for new features as well as respecting the slow pace of
bigger sites (like big universities and such)

> Thus, if there are no objection, we must decide: When the next
> version (6.2 and new major) will be released?

if noone objects, this decision belongs to you now.

regards