devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Next release(s)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:38:09 +0200

On 03/30/2017 11:27 AM, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> Hello Soji,
>
> Thanks for sharing. We will talk about it at the very beginning of the
> hackathon. I think everyone already agreed on the your vision of the 6.2
> branch and i really would like to see you as the maintainer of it.
>
> The think i want to discuss during the hackathon is the opportunity to
> split sympa on multiple components. at least
>
> * sympa-backend-* the abstract classes for serialization
> * sympa-mlm the mailing list manager
> * sympa-rest-server the REST server over mlm
> * sympa-vue the web UI over rest-server
> * sympa-tt the web UI over mlm (if someone wants to maintain)

Hello Marc,

an essential component would be

* sympa-schema the data storage schema (DBIx::Class)

This sits beneath sympa-mlm and sympa-rest-server and holds all business
logic.

> and there would be a notion of dependency between some of them. sympa
> should become easiser to
>
> * dive in
> * reason about
> * package and install

* test test test

> we also should talk about release process (i really would like some
> people to merge branches on devel and make master to point on stable
> tags) and deprecation process (what, why and how to break retrocompat.,
> how to document it).

For the anticipated limited amount of developers PRs to master work
much better (lesson learned in Dancer project).

This implies proper CI testing of course.

Regards
Racke

>> If you don't mind, I will deal with these works including merger of
>> related pull requests.
>
> i would really appreciate it. anyone against ?
>
>> Periodic release
>> ----------------
>
> from my point of view, i think we should steal from perl:
>
> * features are documented and marked as experimental by default
> * even major versions are stable (with maintainance), minors are for bug
> fixing
> * even major versions are for devel snapshots. minors are for new
> features and patchlevel are for fixing.
>
> so we can have a fast pace of release for people who can afford more
> maintainance for new features as well as respecting the slow pace of
> bigger sites (like big universities and such)
>
>> Thus, if there are no objection, we must decide: When the next
>> version (6.2 and new major) will be released?
>
> if noone objects, this decision belongs to you now.
>
> regards

Debian and Sympa administration.