devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: András Bendzsák <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:43:49 +0200

Hi Andràs,

Le 12/04/2010 15:27, András Bendzsák wrote:

Can you give some more details about your system (if they are public)?
Sure!
I need the following one:
- linux distribution version
RedHat, RHEL 5
- perl version
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi :)
- incoming messages/day (approximetly)
In 2009, it was, per day, 516 messages accepted for distribution, and around 450 000 distributed messages (I add this last information because that's what bulk.pl does; distributing messages).
- sympa.pl memory usage (top output or pmap)
See attached graph. It is our memory consumption for the last year. Sympa 6.0 was installed on the server since last may.
It looks like our work on wwsympa memory optimization did bear fruits.
Actually, bulk.pl doesn't appear on this graph, which is bad. A bulk.pl process takes roughly 350 MB. If it forks into three processes, you can then reach a GB of used memory. Again: the additionnal bulk.pl will die after some time without sending messages. You can also tweak the max number of bulk.pl processes, the conditions under which it will fork and the time it will stay alive. see: https://www.sympa.org/manual/conf-parameters/part2#bulk_mailer
- how long has been the sympa.pl running (ps -ef|grep sympa.pl)
Bad example... I just installed the latest alpha (future 6.1 beta) last week. So it is only running since one week.

Regards,

David
I will compare to our config and try to figure out what causes the
leaking.

Thank you for your work, you are doing great job at this project!

Here is a pmap diff (three weeks after starting)
xxx@xxxx:~$ diff ./sympa.pmap ./sympa.pmap3
4,12c4,15
< 0000000000603000 84236K rw--- [ anon ]
< 00007fd8bcd71000 828K rw--- [ anon ]
< 00007fd8bce40000 824K rw--- [ anon ]
< 00007fd8bd23c000 828K rw--- [ anon ]
< 00007fd8bd35e000 832K rw--- [ anon ]