devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:07:36 +0200

Hi,

We haven't experienced such a problem with our own Sympa, running since about a year for a thousand lists and around 280.000 subscribers.
However, we know that Sympa is not without memory leaks, but we never observed any delivery problem.

What can happen, though is that the delivery for a list is delayed because another message for a list with higher priority arrives. Indeed, it is now possible to stop distributing a list message before it is finished and restart it at the exact point it was before.

In such a case, I sometimes saw a message waiting several minutes, even half an hour, before being completely distributed, if the list has a lot of subscribers and a lot of mesages with higher priority arrive.

In addition, bulk.pl can fork into several identical processes to temporarily increase the distribution rate. This leads to an increased memory usage, but is is splat beween several bulk.pl processes and al of them (safe one) die after a few minutes of inactivity.

Hope this helps,

Regards

David