devel - [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: John Kirkland <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Memory usage in bulk.pl in 6.0.1
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:46:17 -0500

Hi, all,

I run a sympa server with 10's of thousands of users subscribed. We probably send out over 250k messages per day through our sympa server. (Thanks for a great piece of software, by the way!)

I've noticed a reoccurring theme with my bulk.pl process in 6.0.1. After running for a couple weeks, things start acting sluggish, and people start complaining about late delivery of messages. When I check the server, bulk.pl is typically taking up several Gigs of RAM sitting there at idle. If I restart the sympa processes, it goes back down to a normal amount of RAM usage and everything starts acting normal again.

Have you guys observed similar behavior? Is it possible that bulk.pl is not freeing some memory after it uses it?

Many Thanks,
John