devel - [sympa-dev] Full virtual domain support / CVS branch

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Scott Balmos <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Full virtual domain support / CVS branch
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:11:53 +0100

As announced, we've added a CVS branch for the full virtual robot developments ; here it is :
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/?cvsroot=sympa&_only_with_tag_=sympa-fullvr

To answer your question here are the things that have been or will evolve to allow full virtual robot support :
  • subscriber_table and admin_table need and additional robot_xx field
  • in List.pm all subroutines using the database (select, insert or update) should be extended
  • almost all file format in spools need to be extended (with backward compatibility). Associated subroutines should also be changed
  • everywhere we used just the listname, we now should refer to the list object
  • everywhere we perform a 'new List' we should now provide a robot parameter
  • List.pm : %list_of_lists, rename_list_db, get_which_db need to be changed
  • lots of work in the task_manager...
Since virtual robot appear everywhere in Sympa, these changes can break almost all features. We'll have to be carefull !

Scott Balmos wrote:
Moving over to the dev list, now that I'm subscribed there also...

Out of curiosity, what other changes do you think are still needed? As far as I could tell, the patches cover what's necessary for extending Sympa itself. I have yet to check WWSympa, or extend the templates. Those are probably the ones needing robot hostname additions, or maybe changing the parser to put list@robot instead of just list for the [list.name] template tag.

I'm looking at the rest of the code this morning, and I'll see what I can do.
We are currently working at making the full virtual robot support available, as a background job. The changes are important, including the ones you suggested.

We have currently done more than half of the job. We'll send more information about these developments in the sympa-dev mailing list. We'll also think about creating a CVS branch for it ASAP...
--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités