en - Re: [en@sympa] [External] Re: Beginner's Help

  • From: "Silvers, Tim" <address@concealed>
  • To: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [en@sympa] [External] Re: Beginner's Help
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 20:06:57 +0000

I almost went with that, but we’re running Postfix. I typically just search for LISTENing sockets.

It looks like you could just be listening on your local loopback interface only. Try connecting on the local host to your open port. You can use ‘telnet’ to make a connection and complete an SMTP session [1].

Then, try connecting from an external host allowed to access port 25 through the firewall using your Sympa host name in the telnet command instead of localhost.

Guides on how to complete an SMTP session are easily found using search. At least with telnet (netcat or other port checking tools) you can verify whether the connection will be allowed.

[1] telnet localhost 25

Tim