en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa not accepting messages without Message-Id

  • From: Victoriano Giralt <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa not accepting messages without Message-Id
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 08:07:46 +0100

El vie, 22-01-2021 a las 20:18 -0500, John Levine escribió:
> In article <address@concealed> you
> write:
> > -=-=-=-=-=-
> > We are having trouble with one of our lists, that is marking as bad
> > messages that arrive without the Message-Id header. It complains in the
> > logs[1] and saves the message in "bad".
>
> Any mail system that doesn't put message-id on its outgoing mail is
> badly broken. Most mail I see without message-id is from spambots. I
> realize that in 5322 it is a SHOULD, but SHOULD means "MUST unless you
> have a really good reason to do something else" which they don't.

As I said to Racke,I'm in violent agreement with the paragraph above.

> Any chance you can tell us who it is or what kind of software they are
> using?

If I find out, I'll inform the list. It is a bookshop related application,
as the problem has surfaced from a list related to the University Print.
I'll ask the team to do further investigations and report back.

> The hacks other people suggested to add a message-id on the way in
> will work, but the senders should really fix their mail software.

Again, we are in violent agreement, but I know how this kind of "fights"
go, with the typical "but we other universities have no problem with our
messages" kind of response, that ends in an internal fight that I have to
solve from "the heights".

I'll follow my first intention and ask the team to tell the offenders they
have fix their software, and keep Soji's suggestion as a card up our
sleeves in case there is a "war we cannot win",

Thanks for your time!

--
Victoriano Giralt Innovation Director
Digital Transformation Vicerectorate University of Malaga