en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa not accepting messages without Message-Id

  • From: "John Levine" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa not accepting messages without Message-Id
  • Date: 22 Jan 2021 20:18:17 -0500

In article <address@concealed> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>We are having trouble with one of our lists, that is marking as bad
>messages that arrive without the Message-Id header. It complains in the
>logs[1] and saves the message in "bad".

Any mail system that doesn't put message-id on its outgoing mail is
badly broken. Most mail I see without message-id is from spambots. I
realize that in 5322 it is a SHOULD, but SHOULD means "MUST unless you
have a really good reason to do something else" which they don't.

Any chance you can tell us who it is or what kind of software they are using?

The hacks other people suggested to add a message-id on the way in
will work, but the senders should really fix their mail software.

R's,
John