en - Re: [sympa-users] disabling "-request" alias

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: David Carter <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Youcef N Baouchi <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] disabling "-request" alias
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:00:48 +0900

Hi David,

> 2021/01/11 15:44、David Carter <address@concealed>のメール:
>
> On 2021-01-11 05:05, Youcef N Baouchi wrote:
>> Hi Soji,
>> A screenshot is attached. For some reason the -request address
>> sometimes gets cached which causes people to email -request alias
>> instead of the actual list. But when I look at the headers the
>> -request address is in the sender field not the from field.
>
> Given:
>
> From: <email>
> Sender: address@concealed
>
> Outlook will display:
>
> address@concealed on behalf of <email>
>
> This has always been Microsoft's interpretation of
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322 :
>
> 3.6.2. Originator Fields

> The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the
> message. The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
> that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
> for the writing of the message. The "Sender:" field specifies the
> mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
> message. For example, if a secretary were to send a message for
> another person, the mailbox of the secretary would appear in the
> "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual author would appear in
> the "From:" field. If the originator of the message can be indicated
> by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
> "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used. Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
> appear.
>
> It looks like they focused on the bit which reads "if a secretary were to
> send a message for another person".
>
> Sympa isn't doing anything wrong: other Mailing List Managers also add
> Sender: headers.
>
> I guess there is an argument for not adding a Sender: header given that the
> last sentence is a SHOULD rather than a MUST.

It is a discussion that has repeated many times in anywhere dealing with
mailing list system. However, removing “Sender:” field with list’s address,
instead of originator’s address, will prevent delivering any messages sanely
via mailing lists among the Internet.

When Outlook users complain, you (administrator of the list) _may_ remove
“Sender:” field by setting “remove_outgoing_headers” parameter, IF your list
was used _only_ by users of Microsoft’s network. —— If not, any users are
receiving messages via Internet, “Sender:” field should never be removed.

Regards,
—Soji