en - Re: [sympa-users] A principle for next generation of sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: Flemming Bjerke <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] A principle for next generation of sympa
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 15:31:14 +0200

Dear Flemming,

this is my personal opinion as member of the community.

the only thing you need to use sympa is valid email adress. this email
adress can remain hidden if you set the anonymous_sender option of the
list.

Also, the ongoing work on sympa7 will provide an unified interface for
multiple list servers and we really want people to encourage people to
have many instances bound together instead of one huge server (that's
why we have some YUNoHost members in our community). Decentralizing
thing is a sine qua none for privacy and scalablity and we know that.

> It should be an opt-in on administrator or list-owner level to deviate
> from this

I don't think so: sympa is used in a lot of corporate sites and
technical community where being anonymous has no sense but something we
need is to provide more templating system to setup a site the way you
want.

> e.g. asking list users to reveal real name, photo, etc.

this could be an idea: giving the users to have a "per list identity".

> In order to promote quality, it should also be possible to give points
> to comments/mails in the webinterface (a possibility that might be
> restricted to certain persons, cf. slashdot),

Not only via the web interface: we can also +1 or 👍 by email.

> But, I think it
> is important that the open source community develop mailinglist/forum
> systems that address the concerns of privacy invasion and surveillance.

it is so important we started it in april but the thing is we need
contributions so don't hesitate if you can help us by any mean
(contribution, documentation, translation, funding, promotion, ...).

regards
marc