en - RE: [sympa-users] Office 365

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Amos <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Office 365
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 01:03:46 +0000

> I know there are more than a few on here using Sympa that have their
> student population in the cloud with Office365. My question to y'all:
> have you had to do anything special with message delivery to avoid MS from
> blocking your Sympa traffic to your students?

We use Gmail for our students rather than 365, but I suspect the general
principal is the same.

First of all, our Sympa server is within our main domain, and so all outgoing
emails are automatically signed by our DKIM key and conform to our domain's
SPF.

Next, we control our Student Gmail domain (aucklanduni.ac.nz) and so we
ensure
that our central mail gateway is in the SPF record in addition to the Gmail
chain.

Now, on our Student Gmail domain (aucklanduni.ac.nz), we can configure an IP
whitelist to whitelist our mail gateway servers. This sorts out almost all
the issues, as we can be sure that there is no rate limiting or
misclassification as spam. We can also whitelist the @auckland.ac.nz mail
domain, but ONLY for messages with a valid DKIM signature, which takes care
of
the rest.

Finally, on selected lists in the domain where we know there may be external
members from DMARC-enabled domains, we activate the DMARC Protection,
specifically for domains which have DMARC records. This rewrites the From
header to get around DMARC tests that ignore the Sender header.

We do also use a couple of cloud-based services for our Service Desk, but
they
have DKIM signatures and SPF records, and we also whitelist their mail
gateways, so there is no issue. We no longer have any known cases of valid
emails being blocked by Gmail for students in the @aucklanduni.ac.nz domain.

Steve

Steve Shipway
T: +64 9 3737 599 ext 86487