en - Re: [sympa-users] Office 365

  • From: Tom Fillmore <address@concealed>
  • To: Amos <address@concealed>, "address@concealed >> address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Office 365
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:01:42 -0700

Hi -

I have the same problem with yahoo and AOL. There are a couple ways to get messages through, at least most of the time:

* DKIM/SPF for the domain - without it probably nothing will go in large amounts (in the case of yahoo in the US, >=20 messages at once. Always have the DKIM feature turned on for all messages you send, per list. I also have it correctly configured in postfix, so my mails are signed twice. There's no penalty for that.

* Whitelisting. Good look with that. AOL changes their mind pretty much daily, I've had first hand experience where they OK it one day, then have the same problem the next day. Yahoo is about the same - they want your DARPA address to whitelist, they NEVER respond back to requests for help and they are really really inconsistent; as far as I can tell their servers get really out of sync. Case in point - one large distribution (10k+ recipients) was blocked for more than one half of all yahoo recipients in the US, while the others got their message. I asked for some mails from those who did and didn't get their messages, some were rejected _by the same exact server_, while others got through, with some rejection timestamps about an hour apart. Ironically (maybe not?) all the Canadian recipients got their message. Every single one. This was about 20% of the total.

* Throttle your mail server. This is a really bad thing to do in general but with AOL and Yahoo not being consistent and returning mails with an error of 'too many messages', or similar, this is beginning to look like a viable alternative.

Other than that I'm out of ideas but would love to hear what others do.

Tom Fillmore
southern California