en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Moderation time-stamp Problem

  • From: Wolfgang Zeikat <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Moderation time-stamp Problem
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 01:11:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

----- On 5 Jun, 2015, at 00:52, d wiltshire address@concealed wrote:

> The problem is that messages submitted to a Sympa list are time-stamped when
> they are received by the Sympa. Upon moderation they then appear in a
> recipients inbox at the time the message was submitted, rather then the time
> it was actually sent.

I have the impression you mean the "Date:" header line by your expression
"time-stamped". The Date: line is inserted by the original sending client,
which is not the sympa server in most cases. And by "actually sent" you seem
to mean what could be regarded as "re-sent by the sympa server".

A workaround to prevent e-mails from being overlooked due to older Date:
header lines is to have the reading client sort messages by "Received" and
not "Sent" date.

Thunderbird and the Zimbra web GUI support such sorting, MS Outlook too, if I
am not mistaken.

In my opinion it is perfectly fine to preserve the original Date: header line
and to work around transmission delays (which can also appear on the route
from client to sympa server already).

My 0.02 EUR. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

wolfgang