en - Re: [sympa-users] Strict, per list, send limit...

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "e.c." <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Strict, per list, send limit...
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:32:24 +0200

Hi Ed,

Le 26/06/14 14:46, e.c. a écrit :
David and Sympa dev:

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:41 AM, David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:
Indeed,

You can also use the "nrcpt_by_domain.conf file. It defined specific limits for some domains. If you fill this file with the following lines:

domain1.tld    3
domain2.tld    25

Then you will have only three users per session for domaine1.tld and 25 per session for domain2.tld.

Th 6.0.1 is rather old now. If you considered upgrading to the 6.1, you could have the delivery_time list parameter. It is not exactly what you want but you could tell ,using this parameter, that a message for a given list will not be sent after the time you define for this parameter.

But the MTA solution will work well, too.

Regards,

David

​ I am using ver. 6.1.7 (owner not listmaster) and under customization option I see:
"​
  ​ Rejection message: when a message is rejected by list editor, a notification can be sent to the original author. You may prepare various rejection messages."
Does 'list editor' here mean owner or moderator?
The moderator. If no moderator is defined in list, then it is the owner.
Is this list editor function programmable or does it require manual intervention?
What do you mean "programmable"?
Are any exploits possible here?
No. We just include the message in a notification template. we don't process it. So whatever the end user wirtes, it won't affect the system.
I first requested (both from Sympa and Mailman) a feature that would limit postings per member and per list in a 24 hour period (say 0:00 to 24:00 gmt (utc), say 6 per member and 60 per list). This functionality was already present in LISTSERV in 1996.
That's quite an unusual request. Most of the time, people tend to find solution to give maximum freedom to end-users and let the system handle the rest.
What exactly is the problem with letting users post whatever they want to the list? We have a public list service with around 700 lists scaling from 5 to 20 000 subscribers and did not have any troubles with it.
The problem seems to be that the bulk of development effort is dedicated to features important to pollsters and admen (lists with 700,000 members) rather than to unmoderated discussion lists​ with 70-700 members.
False impression. Sure, on the Sympa web site, we tend to stress out the fact that Sympa is globally scalable because it is widely used as a large scale.
However I - and the other Sympa authors share my point of view - certainly don't want Sympa to be restricted to such usage. Sympa must remain usable on a single machine with an average configuration without all the fancy connection with the information system used in entrerprises - and without a MySQL cluster.

Consequently: no, it is not necessary to fork. Please, contribute instead. We will gladly accept contributions - but don't forget that we need to review your code and try to make it fit in the Sympa big picture, so integretion is not instantaneous.

To contribute: for now, send us a patch (address@concealed). Later, you will be able to use git - we will switch to git this year.

Best regards,

David

Thank you,
Ed

p.s. Is there any interest in doing a fork of either Sympa or Mailman in order to implement this functionality along with some other things useful to a self-moderating  list?