en - [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?

  • From: Sean Hennessee <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 18:10:24 +0000

Can someone explain to me how Sympa does log rotation? And also where this is
configured?

I would like to have it rotate everyday and add a date stamp to the name of
each file. I am running CentOS 6.4. I tried setting up 'logrotate', but that
doesn't seem to be working.

I have noticed that my log files rotate in what appears to be randomly. I
have these log files, in /var/log, since starting to use Sympa last June:
-rw-r----- 1 sympa sympa 0 Oct 9 10:48 sympa.log
-rw-r----- 1 sympa sympa 57M Jun 20 10:52 sympa.log-20130620
-rw-r----- 1 sympa sympa 509M Aug 19 08:18 sympa.log-20130624
-rw-r----- 1 sympa sympa 50M Oct 3 06:36 sympa.log-20130820
-rw-r----- 1 sympa sympa 82M Oct 9 10:51 sympa.log-20131004
The rotation does not seem to be based on size or date. The latest log file
is still not being used; the old renamed file is still being updated. How do
you 'kick' Sympa to start a using the new log file? I tried 'service sympa
restart', but that didn't do it.

My /etc/sympa/sympa.conf file has this log section in it, sans comments:
syslog LOCAL1
log_socket_type unix
log_level 0
log_smtp off
logs_expiration_period 3

My /etc/rsyslogd.conf file has this line in it at the end:
local1.* /var/log/sympa.log

My /etc/rsyslog.d/sympa.conf file has only this line in it:
local1.* /var/log/sympa.log

My /etc/logrotate.d/sympa file to has this in it:
/var/log/sympa.log {
missingok
notifempty
create 640 sympa sympa
}

My /etc/logrotate.conf file has this in it, sans comments:
weekly
rotate 4
create
dateext