en - [sympa-users] confused about how postalias processes sympa_alias

  • From: Rance Hall <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] confused about how postalias processes sympa_alias
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 14:21:15 -0500

We are trying to follow documentation at
http://www.sympa.org/faq/postfix_howto to audit our installation of sympa which is using postfix to send mail.

The problem started with sympa sending an error notice for each an every list we host to the list admins saying that {listname}+owner did not exist.

Using the above referenced URL I tracked these to the virtual_regexp file which was in use, but which the documentation says is not needed except under certain circumstance which does not seem to fit how we use sympa.

After editing the postfix config file and removing the reference to the virtual_regexp file the error messages stopped, but so did some of our list traffic.

the sympa_aliases file appears to be correct, but when postalias is run against this file the resulting db appears to be missing key elements.

After auditing sympa_aliases.db I discovered that some lists do not share the same number of entries in the .db file as opposed to the plain text version.

I thought this was strange. For the lists that are working there is a 1:1 map between listings in sympa_aliases and sympa_aliases.db.

For lists that do not have a 1:1 map between these two files, the .db file is always missing something. What ever is missing will determine what is broken for the list.

Some of our lists will not allow email moderation, and some will not allow email to the list itself because the list alias itself is missing.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? and what if anything can I do about it?

Rance

PS: I'm beginning to wonder if the text version of sympa_aliases is corrupt somehow.
--
Rance Hall
Linux System Administrator

The flag doesn't fly because wind blows it.
It flies with the last breath of each soldier
who died protecting it.

  • [sympa-users] confused about how postalias processes sympa_alias, Rance Hall, 10/09/2013