en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?

  • From: Sean Hennessee <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:40:12 +0000

Steve,

That was it. Sympa is sending it's logs via syslog. So, the kill -HUP
syslogd.pid command worked. Thank you for all your help.

Peace,
Sean
--
Sean Hennessee
Enterprise & Unix Services

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:13 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:

> I tried manually restarting Sympa with the stop/sleep/start commands you
> suggested, but Sympa is still writing to the old log file.

Which method are you using for Sympa logs? If you are having Sympa send logs
via syslog (eg, /etc/sympa.conf: "syslog LOCAL1") and then having syslog
manage the file (eg, /etc/syslog.conf: local1.debug /var/log/sympa.log ) then
you need to tell *syslog* to reopen the file using something like this (you
may need rsyslog.pid depending on your versions of syslog and PID file
location)
postrotate
/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
endscript
If Sympa is writing directly to the file as it sounds, then you need to
restart Sympa, though a service restart here often seems to fail to stop the
main Sympa.pl process for some reason (we're on v6.1.14, other versions may
be different)

Steve