en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "'Sean Hennessee'" <address@concealed>, "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa log file handling?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:13:01 +0000

> I tried manually restarting Sympa with the stop/sleep/start commands you
> suggested, but Sympa is still writing to the old log file.

Which method are you using for Sympa logs? If you are having Sympa send logs
via syslog (eg, /etc/sympa.conf: "syslog LOCAL1") and then having syslog
manage the file (eg, /etc/syslog.conf: local1.debug /var/log/sympa.log ) then
you need to tell *syslog* to reopen the file using something like this (you
may need rsyslog.pid depending on your versions of syslog and PID file
location)
postrotate
/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
true
endscript
If Sympa is writing directly to the file as it sounds, then you need to
restart Sympa, though a service restart here often seems to fail to stop the
main Sympa.pl process for some reason (we're on v6.1.14, other versions may
be different)

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 923 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: address@concealed
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail :
打印本邮件,将减少一棵树存活的机会