en - Re: [sympa-users] Postfix to sympas script

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Bastien ROUCARIES <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Postfix to sympas script
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:27:44 +0200

Hi Roger,
I think I answered too quickly yesterday.

Le 26/08/2010 19:44, Roger B.A. Klorese a écrit :

This is somewhat troubling.
Are you actually saying that code not developed by your group cannot be accepted into the core distribution?

No, certainly no!
We have integrated a lot of third party contributions to the core distribution. Actually, some of the major recent improvements were brought to Sympa thanks to contributors. But, as you said, we need to inspect it test it AND take over its maintenance.
The problem with Postfix is that we don't use it and have no expertise at all in it. So I don't know how we could maintain this code. That's why I feel it is unreasonnable for us to integrate it to the part of code we are supposed to be able to maintain.

However, I feel that we can improve the contributions accessibility. I understood that using the script Bastien provided didn't require any modification in Sympa (tell me if I'm wrong). So a compromise would be to distribute it with Sympa in a dedicated "contributions" directory. This would make these contributions directly available. This would also require an improvement in the documentation provided with the contributions, probably by integrating them to the Sympa doc.

This is a short term solution to help people using postfix. This would probably increase the number of people using each contrib and therefore help improve it.
Later, it is probably possible that we would use this kind of contribution to make postfix work off the shelf which would be a very good thing.

What do you think of this proposal?

Regards,

David

It seems to me like the path to this can be: you inspect it, you test it, you agree to adopt it, and you take over its maintenance...
If this works as documented, it it a clear and easy path to Postfix integration, and multi-MTA support clearly is needed by a broader community of users.

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

Due to the limitations of human brain, I fail to remember all the mails.
So if you want your bug reports or feature requests for Sympa to be processed, please post them to the Sympa tracker