en - [sympa-users] Backing up a sympa server

  • From: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Backing up a sympa server
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 06:41:20 -0700

Hi everyone,

Here’s something that I can’t seem to find in the archive anywhere. I run Sympa (6.0.3) in my office where nightly backups are not an issue. But I also run it at home on my home network for a few non-profit mailing lists. There I’m running it in a VMware VM under Centos 5.5. I really want to rsync the important information off that VM to another system so that I have some basic backups. If something terrible happens with the VM then I think I should be able to create a new VM, install the OS, install Sympa, and then copy the relevant information back from my backup. (Please correct me if I’m wrong there.) I’ll also take occasional backups of the entire VM but that’s not feasible on a nightly basis.

Assuming that I can shut down the Sympa and mysql processes in the middle of the night to get a consistent state of the system, can somebody tell me exactly what needs to be copied in the rsync process? There’s /home/sympa for sure and the two files in /etc (sympa.conf and wwsympa.conf). But what about the mysql stuff? Would I be safe in just copying /var/lib/mysql/sympa or do I need more than that?

Thanks!

Pat