en - Re: [sympa-users] Backing up a sympa server

  • From: Paul Nuffer <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Backing up a sympa server
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:06:50 -0600

Hi Tim,

The tool mysqldump does what you specify:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqldump.html

To Pat: your method to copy /var/lib/mysql/sympa would work as well, but
mysqldump would put your database in a format that's more easily
recoverable between different versions of MySQL. I would recommend
looking into mysqldump for your DB backup needs.

This section of the MySQL manual may be helpful for this topic:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/backup-and-recovery.html

Hope that helps!

Paul