en - Re: [sympa-users] SMTP rate limiting

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Richard Gilbert <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] SMTP rate limiting
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:25:50 +0200

Richard Gilbert wrote:
We are using SYMPA 5.3.4 with Exim. When a message is sent to all our ~30,000 users it gets sent out as fast as SYMPA can manage. This has an adverse effect on the two IMAP servers containing the users' mailboxes. I would like to be able to restrict the rate at which messages are sent out. I have reduced maxsmtp to 5 and nrcpt to 50 but SYMPA still managed to send to all addresses in less than 3 minutes.

Can anyone suggest how I should do this?
Changing maxsmtp to 5 probably do not change anything because on a local smtp server performences are usually very hi. You should change nrcpt to a very low value nrcpt = 3.

You can do it on the nrcpt_by_domain file so you will not make sympa too slow for non local users.

Another solution is to change the verp_rate list parameter : use 100% will be the same as nrcpt=1 for this list.

Regards
Serge