en - Re: [sympa-users] SMTP rate limiting

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, Richard Gilbert <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] SMTP rate limiting
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:09:35 +0200

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
Richard Gilbert schrieb:
We are using SYMPA 5.3.4 with Exim. When a message is sent to all our
~30,000 users it gets sent out as fast as SYMPA can manage. This has an
adverse effect on the two IMAP servers containing the users' mailboxes.
I would like to be able to restrict the rate at which messages are sent
out. I have reduced maxsmtp to 5 and nrcpt to 50 but SYMPA still
managed to send to all addresses in less than 3 minutes.

Can anyone suggest how I should do this?
Do it with exim. Don't do it with sympa.
I agree with this choice : the best way to do it is to configure your MTA for that.
Seriously, sympa has one known limitation about sending out messages: if
it is interupted while sending out messages, it has no track-report
about which recipients already had a copy sent out and it starts all
over again. Now, if you extend the period it takes sympa to send the
message to the MTA, you increase the risk of problems.
That's true until version 6 (which is not yet available). In this version, the bulk mailer is completely reconfigured. One of the goal is to be able to stop and restart Sympa during a huge distribution process without message duplication. It is also possible now to start the distribution of a new message with hi priority without waiting lower priority distribution process to finish.

We want also best performances and scalability

Serge