en - Re: [sympa-users] Controlling Sympa from another application

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Controlling Sympa from another application
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:13:39 +0100

Using the mail API is one option with some drawbacks :
  • the authentication of your application to sympa will probably be based on the From: SMTP header field which is very low level of trust (easy to forge)
  • the ADD/DEL action is not immediatly performed and you can't manage error cases in your application
A better option is to use Sympa SOAP server and add a SOAP client in your application. We provide sample codes in perl, php and java. Read the documentation for more details : http://www.sympa.org/doc/html/node11.html

address@concealed wrote:
Is it practical for another application to control the subscribers who are on a mailing list by solely using email posted commands?  In other words, if I have a separate application that has special logic for who can join a list, when they have to leave, etc, could this application use Sympa's email commands as an API?  (Assuming mailing list sizes of 1,000 to 5,000)