en - [sympa-users] Re: [sympa-authors] SOAP interface

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed, Lennon Day-Reynolds <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: [sympa-authors] SOAP interface
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:35:37 +0100

Hi,

Lennon Day-Reynolds wrote:

I've been working on an application for use on our campus to allow users to easily subscribe and unsubscribe from a set of public lists, calling the Sympa SOAP interface from a Ruby on Rails web UI.

In doing so, I've come up against a number of limitations of the current SOAP API, including the extremely limited information about each list made available to SOAP clients. Looking forward, I think our application would benefit greatly from an extended API with several new methods and an enriched 'ListType' that included a number of currently-missing fields -- list owners, description, and subscription policy, to name a few.

This extension would really be of interest. The only restriction is that the SOAP server should not deliver sensible information about the list (list of members, archives, documents, advanced configuration options) to a SOAP client (unless this client acts as a list admin). But the information you are listing are not in this category, expect the subscription policy maybe.

Before I begin any major development on this, though, I wanted to gauge the level of interest others (including the Sympa maintainers) would have in such an extension.

We really do.

I realize that the SOAP API has been somewhat of a second-class interface to date, and I don't want to spend a lot of time and effort trying to enrich it if there simply isn't going to be demand for it outside our institution.

You're right because the SOAP server only provides a subset of Sympa features. The reason is that at the time we designed the SOAP server we did not know how much interest it would have...
We have development plans for the SOAP server ; we just lack some time/hands to achieve them.
Major development projects are listed here : http://www.sympa.org/wiki/doku.php?id=project_direction#soap_related

You're welcome to append your feature request to the wiki.
You're even welcome to send us patches that include these extensions. A first step would be the extension of the ListType that also requires extension of the WSDL document. Patches should be submitted via our bug tracking tool : http://www.sympa.org/mantis

Alternately, if other people have worked more extensively on driving Sympa installations via external user interfaces, I'd be interested to hear what worked for you.

If required, I suggest that we move this thread to the sympa-dev mailing list that is more appropriate...