en - Re: [sympa-users] Question about dynamic inclusion

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Question about dynamic inclusion
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:35:55 -0500

On Nov 7, 2005, at 8:45 AM, address@concealed wrote:

For what it's worth Majordomo also works this way.

And ListProc. From the beginning, the 'new list owner
welcome' message sent to our new list owners have warned
that the list owner is *not* subscribed to the list
automatically, and that if the list owner wants to see the
list traffic, they should, as their first act as a new list
owner, subscribe themselves to the list. For the 10 years
we've been hosting lists, this policy has not generated a
single complaint that I can recall.

Same here, as far as I'm aware. It personally makes sense to me. If you want to fiddle with list settings you have to be an owner. If you want to receive list mail you have to be a subscriber. If you want to moderate postings you have to be an editor. Fortunately, as list owner you can take care of these details pretty quickly and easily.

I personally know of at least a handful of lists on our
system where the list owner is an administrative assistant
taking care of the list on behalf of the boss or
organization and as such has no desire or need to be
subscribed to the list.

We've probably got a couple dozen like that, mostly for research studies and the like. We've also got a couple of lists that are owned by a group of people with a shared IMAP mailbox and it would fill up quickly with a lot of confusing threads if it were on the list.

I'd be all for allowing a config option that mandates owners be subscribed to the list, but what else would it involve? Would owners also be required to be editors?

Thanks,
Jeff