en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa memory-usage

  • From: Hargitai Gábor <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa memory-usage
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:17:20 +0200

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
Hi all,

some time ago someone mentioned on this list that sympa does extensive caching of list-information (both list-configuration and subscribers). If I understood that e-mail correctly, sympa does that for each daemon (bounced, archived, sympa, etc.) and so memory-usage is quite high.

Currently I run about 800 mailinglists on my listserv-installation, 5 having a little bit more than 10000-users, 11 between 1000 and 9999 users, 114 between 100 and 999 users and about 700 smaller ones. Most of the lists are low-volume, especially the big ones are only used for announcements once a month.

Currently I have only 1GB of RAM available. Might that be enough to run sympa or is it to little?
Can anyone provide figures relating to number of lists, list-size and memory-usage?

First I didn't reply here:

We have 603 lists, 12511 users, and 28281 subscriptions. In April I made a measurement, in a week the machine received 154 971 mail, and sent out 1 117 082. The incoming contains spams, bounces, viruses, so Sympa has to process fewer. This machine runs the postgres database, clamav and amavids-new with spamassassin. I use postfix.

It is a Celeron 1.7Ghz with 512 MB ram and 512 MB swap. Sometimes the wwsympa is very slow, and we want to replace the machine, but I think so, that 1 GB can be enough for you with a strong CPU.

--
Üdv
Gábor