en - [sympa-users] FreeBSD localization setup

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] FreeBSD localization setup
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:53:14 -0700

> I am having this problem too. I have been updating the FreeBSD port of Sympa
> (for local use but I will send it to the maintainer). I have got it to
> build
> and install nicely for the most part but handling the language selection in
> wwsympa is one area that stays broken. I am afraid I don't understand the
> differences in handling locales on FreeBSD and Linux Or perl for that
> matter)
> well enough to figure this out since I haven't been able to find a work
> around
> that works.
>
> Could you describe in a little more detail what you did?

Yes, you just need to create these symlinks in /usr/share/locale (plus
similar links for any other languages that should be available); if you
create these and then run the Sympa make, it will no longer complain
about not finding these four languages, and they will then show up in
the language selector. But in fact I don't think you even have to rerun
the installer to make it work -- just create the links.

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 15 Aug 12 17:00 en_US -> en_US.ISO8859-1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 15 Aug 12 17:00 fr_FR -> fr_FR.ISO8859-1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16 Aug 12 17:01 hu_HU -> hu_HU.ISO8859-2/
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 15 Aug 12 17:01 it_IT -> it_IT.ISO8859-1

But, as I've also just discovered, you might also need to search for the
module gettext_xs.pm in the Perl path and move/rename/delete it if
found. I haven't yet submitted this as an issue to the Perl libintl
maintainers as Olivier suggested, but will do so when I get a chance.

adam