en - Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:12:54 +0200

These 2 perl modules seem to be part of the libintl package that provides the Locale::Messages module.
I suggest you report these problems to the author of this perl package via CPAN :
http://search.cpan.org/~guido/libintl-perl-1.14/

Adam Bernstein wrote:
I'm not sure if this is relevant to many people, or if it was just some strange random problem on my system, but I thought it might be useful:

All localization in Sympa 5.1 was broken on our production system (FreeBSD 4.9), despite working fine on our development system (FreeBSD 5.3) -- the only special treatment is that I have to create symlinks in /usr/share/locale to mimic the action of /etc/locale.gen and /etc/locale.aliases (which don't exist under FreeBSD).  The problem on the production system was that it wouldn't bind to any localization catalog or translate any strings; the language selector showed 4 blank choices, though the HTML code actually pointed to 4 languages, and selecting any of them did nothing.

After a great deal of searching and experimenting, I finally discovered that an extra Perl module was installed on this system that was not installed on the dev system, called gettext_xs.pm (in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Locale), and removing that module fixed the problem.  This module is apparently a "low level C interface" (?) to the gettext function, while the alternative gettext_pp.pm, the "pure Perl interface", is the one that remains now and works fine.

I don't know where that gettext_xs.pm module came from originally.  Is this just some weird thing with FreeBSD or with my particular system? Does gettext_xs.pm work on Linux or other systems?  If not, it would be great if the Sympa installer could check for it and remove it or warn about it, so others don't have this totally mystifying problem.