en - Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:06:45 +0200

Adam Bernstein wrote:
> All localization in Sympa 5.1 was broken on our production system
> (FreeBSD 4.9), despite working fine on our development system (FreeBSD
> 5.3) -- the only special treatment is that I have to create symlinks
> in /usr/share/locale to mimic the action of /etc/locale.gen
> and /etc/locale.aliases (which don't exist under FreeBSD).

Hi Adam and others,

I am having this problem too. I have been updating the FreeBSD port of Sympa
(for local use but I will send it to the maintainer). I have got it to build
and install nicely for the most part but handling the language selection in
wwsympa is one area that stays broken. I am afraid I don't understand the
differences in handling locales on FreeBSD and Linux Or perl for that matter)
well enough to figure this out since I haven't been able to find a work around
that works.

Could you describe in a little more detail what you did?

Here's the sort of messages I get:

Aug 19 08:25:01 lapbsd wwsympa[19424]: Failed to setlocale(fr_FR.iso8859-1) ;
you either have a problem with the catalogue .mo files or you should extend
available locales in your /etc/locale.gen (or /etc/sysconfig/i18n) file
Aug 19 08:25:01 lapbsd wwsympa[19424]: Failed to setlocale(es_ES.iso8859-1) ;
you either have a problem with the catalogue .mo files or you should extend
available locales in your /etc/locale.gen (or /etc/sysconfig/i18n) file

And, just as you describe, the language selector form on the web page is
empty.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to make the port available for people
to test relatively soon if possible.

Cheers,

Graham Todd Bellanet
http://www.bellanet.org/