en - Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization

  • From: Michael Redinger <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] FYI: gettext_xs.pm may break localization
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:08:41 +0200

Hi,

when looking for a problem with localisation on Sun Solaris 10, we too
noticed that i18n behaves differently if the gettext_xs module is
installed. However, we found that it worked better with the C module -
we had less problems with language files (not only those created by GNU
msgfmt but also those of Sun msgfmt worked then). So, on Solaris it
definitely worked (but we decided not to use it - there was a better
workaround).

Greetings,
Michael

Adam Bernstein wrote:
| I'm not sure if this is relevant to many people, or if it was just some
| strange random problem on my system, but I thought it might be useful:
|
| All localization in Sympa 5.1 was broken on our production system
| (FreeBSD 4.9), despite working fine on our development system (FreeBSD
| 5.3) -- the only special treatment is that I have to create symlinks
| in /usr/share/locale to mimic the action of /etc/locale.gen
| and /etc/locale.aliases (which don't exist under FreeBSD). The problem
| on the production system was that it wouldn't bind to any localization
| catalog or translate any strings; the language selector showed 4 blank
| choices, though the HTML code actually pointed to 4 languages, and
| selecting any of them did nothing.
|
| After a great deal of searching and experimenting, I finally discovered
| that an extra Perl module was installed on this system that was not
| installed on the dev system, called gettext_xs.pm
| (in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Locale), and removing that
| module fixed the problem. This module is apparently a "low level C
| interface" (?) to the gettext function, while the alternative
| gettext_pp.pm, the "pure Perl interface", is the one that remains now
| and works fine.
|
| I don't know where that gettext_xs.pm module came from originally. Is
| this just some weird thing with FreeBSD or with my particular system?
| Does gettext_xs.pm work on Linux or other systems? If not, it would be
| great if the Sympa installer could check for it and remove it or warn
| about it, so others don't have this totally mystifying problem.
|
| ab

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Central IT Services)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13 Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck Fax.: ++43 512 507 2944
Austria Mail: address@concealed
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780 3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc