en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa equivalent to addr_xforms

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Paul Haldane <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa equivalent to addr_xforms
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:51:09 +0200

Sympa already manages alternate user email adresses but it is a limited feature (introduced some time ago when we added the LDAP authentication) :
  1. The alternate email addresses are only used on the web interface, as a way to view the UI with different user accounts. We wish to make use of it on the mail interface to accept messages/commands from alternate email addresses.
  2. The alternate addresses are stored in a HTTP cookie. We wish to make it a user attribute in the user DB.
A similar feature request has been submitted with ID 269 in our bug/feature system : http://listes.cru.fr/mantis
Feel free to complete the request with your own needs.

Thank you.

Paul Haldane wrote:
Does sympa allow the administrator to set up mappings so that sets of email addresses can be considered equivalent on a global basis?  Like Majordomo2's addr_xforms -
http://lists.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?&user=&passw=&list=GLOBAL&func=help&extra=configset_addr_xforms

I think I've looked through the relevant docs/archives and haven't spotted anything but I might just be using the wrong words.

We're interested in this because we're still having to cope with having two equivalent domains for mail.  For example I can be contacted (and send mail as) address@concealed or address@concealed -
either works.  This applies to any email address at our site and (I believe) still applies to a number of other higher education institutions in this country.

We can't guarantee which form a subscriber's address will be presented in (it will be consistent whilst they use a particular mail client but may be different if they use something else).  People often quote their email address @ncl.ac.uk because it's shorter but will actually be sending mail as address@concealed.

Obviously in the long term we'll move to a situation where we force outgoing addresses to one form but meanwhile I'd like to have something that hides this complication from users (without having to add separate alternate email addresses for each person).

I added this functionality to our locally written MLM (Mailbase) but we're now looking to move to something better and Sympa seems an obvious contender (especially as we're also looking at Shibboleth).

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités