en - [sympa-users] sympa equivalent to addr_xforms

  • From: "Paul Haldane" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] sympa equivalent to addr_xforms
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:38:01 +0100

Does sympa allow the administrator to set up mappings so that sets of
email addresses can be considered equivalent on a global basis? Like
Majordomo2's addr_xforms -
http://lists.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?&user=&passw=&list=GLOBAL&fun
c=help&extra=configset_addr_xforms

I think I've looked through the relevant docs/archives and haven't
spotted anything but I might just be using the wrong words.

We're interested in this because we're still having to cope with having
two equivalent domains for mail. For example I can be contacted (and
send mail as) address@concealed or address@concealed -
either works. This applies to any email address at our site and (I
believe) still applies to a number of other higher education
institutions in this country.

We can't guarantee which form a subscriber's address will be presented
in (it will be consistent whilst they use a particular mail client but
may be different if they use something else). People often quote their
email address @ncl.ac.uk because it's shorter but will actually be
sending mail as address@concealed.

Obviously in the long term we'll move to a situation where we force
outgoing addresses to one form but meanwhile I'd like to have something
that hides this complication from users (without having to add separate
alternate email addresses for each person).

I added this functionality to our locally written MLM (Mailbase) but
we're now looking to move to something better and Sympa seems an obvious
contender (especially as we're also looking at Shibboleth).

Paul
--
Paul Haldane
Unix Systems, Information Systems and Services, University of Newcastle