en - Any Debian users out there?

  • From: Michelle Murrain <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Any Debian users out there?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:16:14 -0500

I decided that because of my extreme troubles getting sympa to work, that I would start from scratch. I thought that it might be useful to start with the debian packages first, since that seemed to help the first time.

I'm doing this on two servers at once. Both debian testing (sarge), both using 3.3.3-3.3.4b.5-1

I've decided that I must simply be cursed. I can't get sympa to configure on either box, for two separate reasons.

box 1: I get the following error:

Setting up sympa (3.3.3-3.3.4b.5-1) ...
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/etc/sympa/sympa.conf-smime.in': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing sympa (--configure):

I did some digging, and /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-smime.in is a file that should be in the package itself. I have emailed the package maintainer in case it's a bug.

Box 2:

it can't connect to my database.

I'm using postgresql. I created the database sympa, and a user sympa. No passwords to access the database. I go through the configuration, and it says:
I was not able to configure your database because I could not
connect to the database server.
Please check that your properly installed and configured
the database server. You also may have entered wrong parameters at
configure time.

I have tried various parameters, to no avail. If I could figure out how it was trying to connect to the database, maybe I could troubleshoot it.

Suggestions?
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
address@concealed http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet." Frederick Buechner