en - RE: [sympa-users] Virtual robot problem?

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Virtual robot problem?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:11:51 -0700

> I guess the better question is where is the hostname/domain for
> List-Help, List-Subscribe, and List-Unsubscribe set? I have host and
> domain set in both sympa.conf and robot.conf

I'm not sure why those would be generated differently, but those are
in fact the three "command addresses", which may be handled in a
different way by the code. Perhaps they're generated from the mail
aliases, in which case I would check your entries in the "virtual"
and "aliases" files. Mine for postfix are, eg.:

in /home/sympa/virtual:
lists.jrf.org VIRTUALDOMAIN
address@concealed postmaster
address@concealed sympa-lists.jrf.org
address@concealed listmaster
address@concealed sympa-lists.jrf.org

in /home/sympa/aliases:
sympa-lists.jrf.org: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"
...plus all the list-specific aliases for each list

Olivier recently described a better way of handling the sympa-<domain>
alias through regexps, but I haven't implemented that yet.

The only host-related lines in my robot.conf are:

http_host lists.jrf.org
wwsympa_url http://lists.jrf.org/lists
host lists.jrf.org

> Ah, OK. Do I have to restart sympa when I change the configurations
> for a virtual robot?

This is one of those things that had me pounding my fist into my head
the first time. Changes related to back-end (non-WWW) handling of
virtual robots require that sympa be restarted -- and note that sending
the sympa.pl process a HUP signal does *not* do anything (it does for
the other three processes, but not sympa.pl). Use the rc.d script if
it works for you. More perplexingly, changes made to any WWSympa-
related configuration, for virtual robots or not, require the Apache
process to be STOPPED and then STARTED, *not* just restarted (cold
boot rather than warm boot?). ie. "apachectl stop; apachectl start",
not "apachectl restart". Probably has to do with FastCGI, so maybe
only applies if you're using that, but surely you must be.

adam