devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Broken formatting was Re: Sympa web site updated

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, Olivier Lumineau <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Broken formatting was Re: Sympa web site updated
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 16:45:41 +0900

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:08:23 +0200
"Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed> wrote:

> On 7/10/19 5:06 AM, IKEDA Soji wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I edited navbar to redirect menu items to the original documentation
> > site. Contents converted from MD to DokuWiki are never tought.
> >
> > We should examine about new site with enough time, I think.
> > Until we would do, we'd be better to introduce and use GitHub sites.
> >
> > Could you please place robots.txt at the top of www.sympa.org site?
> > I couldn't do it.
> >
> > robots.txt:
> > ```
> > Disallow: /community
> > Disallow: /faq
> > Disallow: /manual
> > ```
> >
> > Thanks much.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -- Soji
>
> Hello Soji,
>
> to be honest the GH pages has drawbacks as well (layout, no search), so I
> would like
> to give the sympa.org a try.

* I have planned to update layout of GitHub Page, but it was not my
priority. Of course anyone may do it.

* I added search form on the site. See https://sympa-community.github.io/

Ok, it's all settled.

> In order to do that, we need access to the server in a reasonable time
> frame, so we
> can evaluate the setup there and put the stuff into a Git repository.
>
> If that doesn't go to happen soon, I support Soji's request and will try to
> find the
> time to build a reasonable web site based on the community staff. It isn't
> complicated
> to convert Markdown documents into a reasonable static web site and add
> search
> functions.
>
> Markdent (https://metacpan.org/pod/Markdent) is a nice module for this task.

At least it will work better than privately-crafted parser.

*

FYI: This morning a issue was submitted:

https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/issues/687

Duplicate contents matter with users and community.
(NOTE: Search engines pick both content either we wish or not.)
Especially, broken content matters.

If we publish information including documentation, we have to take
care not making users confused.

That's why I propose to put robots.txt hiding probablly incomplete
content.

Regards,

-- Soji