devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 16:37:39 +0100

Dear all,

I spent some time reading all this thread. Here are a few remarks:

As Soji mentioned, all internal Sympa data are UTF-8 encoded since 2007. Soji did this conversion. So if the only data we handled were Sympa data, using utf8:all would be perfect.

Most encoding-related problems come from the mails and Soji deals with this problem since 10 years in Sympa, so I guess he knows the problem pretty well. Not only can't we assume that most data will be UTF-8, we can be sure of the contrary: most data will not be UTF-8. And in some cases, they will be horribly twisted data such as in Soji's examples. Anyone dealing with large mailing list servers can tell the horrors we can meet on a daily basis.

Consequently, we can assume that any file we open which is not mail-related will be UTF-8. The rest will not. Enforcing the usage of utf8:all everywhere in the code seems therefore hazardous.

Indeed, sending a mail using Email::sender is straightforward when you have a well-controlled application sending its own messages. But that's not what Sympa does.

About PEP, I have no strict opinion. However, when manipulating mails, we already use external libraries. I don't see a clear functional superiority of Email::* modules compared to the MIME::* modules we use already.

I have also other concerns about using modules to send mails: for now, when Sympa distributes a message, it transmits the message source to the sendmail command through a pipe; The benefit is that Sympa does not have to handle anything related to the SMTP protocol. I don't know how the PEP modules handle it. It's also difficult to know how a listmaster could tweak the sendmail command options as Sympa does right now using the sendmail_args parameter (https://www.sympa.org/manual/conf-parameters/part2#sendmail_args).

Regards,

David