devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 15:58:57 +0100

On 03/08/2018 12:52 PM, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 05:55:22PM +0900, Soji Ikeda wrote:
>> They should not be read / written through :utf8 layer, but :bytes layer.
>> E.g. following operations should use :bytes layer:
>> - Opening messages on disk.
>> - Opening pipe to sendmail.

We should rather use CPAN modules than opening a pipe to sendmail ...

> what's the point of using :bytes everywhere just because mails should be
> serialized this way ?
>
> those special cases (even if happens frequently) should be wrapped into
> functions that ensures the correctness.
>
> regards
> marc

Yes, I would agree with Marc.

We are doing the following inside our Dancer apps:

# the dumper shows \x{20ac}, so html and text are decoded.
email {
%args,
body => encode( 'UTF-8', $text ),
type => 'text',
attach => {
Charset => 'utf-8',
Data => encode( 'UTF-8', $html ),
Encoding => "quoted-printable",
Type => "text/html"
},
multipart => 'alternative',
};

Here "email" is basically a wrapper around Email::Sender
(https://metacpan.org/pod/Dancer2::Plugin::Email#DESCRIPTION).

Regards
Racke

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.