devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] GCOC sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] GCOC sympa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:23:50 +0900

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:00:56 +0100
Marc Chantreux <address@concealed> wrote:

> hello,
>
> > The matter looks simple: I can fork your (Strasbourg) repo and can
> > send pull requests.
>
> you are a sympa contributor so i can add you in the repo itself.
> however: refactor parts we are about to remove should be
> counterproductive so communication between us will be very important
> in short term.
>
> > I hardly can maintain this project alone.
>
> No one does! and it seems there is not enougth support from academia
> for the moment (i really hope this would change at some point).
>
> that's why our goal is really to remove code :)

It makes sense.

For example, IMO web interface would be better to be rewritten
entirely: It's difficult to maintain, and has much redundant code
of Sympa main body. SOAP is not so easy to use: It would be
replaced by RESTful web API. And so on.

However, I might make some changes on svn for a while so that some
defects will be fixed, although such code will be removed in the
future. I'll personally release it through my yum repository for
user of current 6.2.x (virtually 6.2.17). So you are not concerned
about my changes on svn repo.

> > I'm planning to submit some bug fixes and minor refactoring (less
> > related to web UI) to SourcSup SVN in 2-3 months. I would much
> > appreciate merging them to GitHub.
> > Afterwards, I'll consider of switching to GitHub.
>
> go ahead: just tell we what's your account and i'll add you as
> contributor! Thank you very much, Soji.
>
> i will try to merge your work on github however i had a lot of crashes
> trying to use git-svn from sourcesup. i'll to my best.
>
> another solution is: just push your stuff in both repos?
>
> remember: the github repo only is the 6.2 branch: history stay the
> RENATER side.

My account on GitHub is "ikedas".

I'll try to submit changes to git, too, however, please sync my
changes for some time.

Thank you for many helps.

> regards
> marc